9/23/12

September 9

I think that this would be a good day to give a shout out to three of my biggest support groups.

Thank you to the people who are in or are part of the Rock Run Church of the Brethren in Goshen, IN; The Office of the Inspector General of IDCFS in Chicago, IL; and the York Center Church of the Brethren in Lombard, IL.  Thank you for believing in me.  Thank you for supporting me with prayers and notes.  Thank you for being a supportive community during my life, and during this part of my life.  I think of you often, and keep you in my prayers.  I could not take this adventure without you.

Vermont State Fair in Rutlington, VT
Zero miles hiked today!

I woke up this morning to discover that it is the last day of the Vermont State Fair here in town.  I contacted a few hikers to see if anyone wanted to hang out with me for the day and Glassman was in the area, so he stopped by to spend the day. 

The biggest event of the day was that I lost my wallet.  I know we've talked about hikers and carrying weight before, but when you carry everything, every ounce is important.  So my 'wallet' is currently a small Ziploc bag that contains seven dollars in cash, my driver's license, a credit card, and my Appalachian Trail Conservancy membership card. It was turned in to the lost and found by a small child who found it on the ground.  It still had all of the credit cards and cash inside!  It fell out of my pocket when I took out my camera to take a picture.  Can you see it in one of the pictures below?

Other highlights of the fair included the Ferris Wheel Ride, watching the pig races, the demolition derby, and of course, the circus.  At the end of the day we drove to the nearest trail crossing and set up camp.

This year's most ubiquitous prize at the state fair-Rastafarian Bananas



The carnival strip.



Another art heart in Rutland



We watched the pig races.



Giraffe and alpacas at the fair.



A circus act



Views from the Ferris Wheel


No comments:

Post a Comment