9/27/12

September 13

From Clarendon Shelter to Greenwall Shelter

I got to the shelter last night just as it was getting dark enough that I needed to turn on my headlamp.  I had the shelter alone for the third night in a row.  But this time was a little bit creepy because I got there so late that I didn't really have my bearings about what was around me. 

Anyway, I was up and out early this morning because I wanted to go into the town of Wallingford, VT where I knew there was a box of food waiting for me to pick up at the post office.  There were stretches of gorgeous trail this morning, so that made the hiking into town more fun.  I got a ride the five miles from the trail to the post office from a 60-ish year old accountant woman in a schmancy red two-seater convertible.  My pack barely fit in the trunk, but it was fun. After picking up my food at the post office I ate lunch at Sal's restaurant, used the computer at the library for several hours, then went back to Sal's for dinner so that I could use their outlets to recharge my phone and camera batteries.  I knew that I was running out of daylight time to hike up to the next shelter, but I was enjoying being in town, so I stayed later than I really should have.  Finally I pulled myself away from the warm diner and started hitchhiking back to the trail.  A couple in a schmancy red two-seater convertible with a jump seat in the back pulled over to give me a ride.  I barely fit in the backseat with my pack, but it was fun.  I don't know what it is about Wallingford and their red convertibles, but I was impressed.  I got to the shelter a little bit after dark and settled in for the night on a very full stomach.



Forest flowers

  


This is called chicken of the woods mushroom.  It really is the colors of a construction zone orange and yellow.  Amazingly beautiful.


Along the trail this chair is just sitting at this lookout, the next two pictures are the view you can see if you sit in the chair-it looks out over an airport.  Notice the clouds down in the valley at the airport.  It is the first place along the trail that I have seen a chair at a viewpoint.  It felt luxurious.





 In Wallingford, VT I picked up my box of food at the post office, then I stopped for lunch and treated myself to coffee and chocolate gelato for dessert, which made me so happy I couldn't resist taking a picture (notice the map which somehow snuck into the corner of the picture?).





No comments:

Post a Comment