9/28/12

September 14

Hiked from Greenwall Shelter to VT Route 10 (Danby, VT)
Miles Hiked: 6.8
Hours Hiked: maybe 6

Today I hiked through/past White Rock Mountain.  This is a place I would like to come back to again in the future.  There were two distinct rock fields full of white rocks.  When I came upon them in the clearing of the woods I felt like I had walked into a nursery full of blocks where all the kids had played all morning and now it was quiet and they had gone to take naps, but the blocks were here showing the evidence of their play.  Except instead of blocks these were white rocks, and the players must have been adults.  It was quiet and peaceful.  It made me wonder what it is about rocks that make humans want to pile and shape them.  And it evoked wonderings about other places in the world where humans have used rocks and rock formations as ways to see or monitor the movement of the sun or moon.  I've posted here an array of photos from today's encounter with these rocks.

When I got to the place where the trail crosses Vermont Route 10 I sat down to study a map and eat some food.  I picked up food in Wallingford yesterday and I am carrying way too much weight right now.  I have so much food that I could go ten days easily without getting anymore food.  I should have planned better and packed fewer days of food and then asked for a resupply sooner instead of carrying so much weight for more days of food. Oh well, I am still learning.  But it means that my pack is incredibly heavy right now.  So, I sat down to look at a map (still three miles to the next shelter) and eat some food so my pack would be lighter.  As I sat there a hiker going North, his name is Mike (AKA Stone Stomper) and he is from Virginia, came into the clearing at the trail head and the road.  After he asked I told him that I was going another three miles south to the next shelter.  Then I made the mistake of asking him what he was doing.  He told me he was waiting for a ride from a nearby bed and breakfast.  And he was going to take a shower, sit in the hot tub, watch a movie, sleep in a real bed and have breakfast there tomorrow morning before heading back out to the trail.  I asked if I could go along.  So, when his ride came I hopped in and headed to the bed and breakfast, called Silas Griffith Inn.  They indeed have movies and a hot tub, as promised, as well as an extensive library and collection of games, on-site laundry, and farm-fresh breakfast.  After I checked in I thought it would be more fun if I wasn't here by myself, so I called Glassman to see if he had the night free and he drove up to Danby to hang out.


Privy with a wrap-around porch

 White Rocks














Clear water at a pond.   A snake.  More pond.



No comments:

Post a Comment