9/19/12

September 5

Elm Road in Vermont to Thistle Hill Shelter
Miles Hiked: 12.3
Hours Hiked: 9

I woke up this morning at the hotel with Mom and Jane in White River Junction, VT, just outside of Hanover, NH.  As I packed my bag I realized that I had left my camera at the hotel computer last night after blogging. This camera has the last pictures that I took of Grandpa and Kaylee together, over 1,000 pictures that I took on the trail in Maine, and cost around $300 to buy. I checked the computer but the camera was gone.  I went to the front desk and asked if they had seen the camera or if someone had turned it in.  Both women said they had noticed a red camera at the computer this morning but had left it there.  I told them that this morning when I ate breakfast in the hotel lobby I had seen a man using the computer.  I asked if they knew who he was and if I could contact him.  The woman said she would call his room to ask him if he had seen the camera.  She made a phone call and said no one answered, which she said probably meant he had left for a meeting.  I stood at the front desk, tears streaming down my face.  I wasn't angry, I knew that it had been my mistake to forget the camera there.  What brought me to tears was that I was sad to lose all of those pictures and the camera itself.  She looked at my face and said she would try something.  She went into the back office and came out with a master key.  She told me she would look in his room and see if she could find it.  I waited in the lobby about five minutes before she came back with the camera-it still had the battery and memory card with the pictures!  She told me that he had hidden it in his things but she had found it and I could have it.  Wow.  I'm fairly certain it wasn't at all legal (was it ethical?) for her to go into his room or through his things, but I am grateful that she did it.  Aunt Jane thinks maybe the man is related to the front desk staff, mom thinks maybe the hotel staff know this guy.  I don't know.  I am thankful to have gotten the camera and pictures back.  But there had been a cord that connects the camera to the computer that was gone-I don't care, I can replace that easily at the next big town. I gave mom the memory card with all of the pictures on it so that she can take it home and keep it somewhere safe where I won't lose it.  I put a new memory card in the camera to start hiking in Vermont.  That is why I am not able to put up pictures from mom and Jane's visit.

Which is too bad, because I took a couple of cute pictures of mom and Jane at some of the blazes in town.  They dropped me off at the trail head and I hiked up to a shelter to sleep for the night.




This is actually the color of this thing.



Trail


No comments:

Post a Comment