9/22/12

September 8

Hiked from Stony Brook Shelter to River Road in Killington, VT
Miles Hiked: 4.3
Hours Hiked: 4

I planned to hike about eleven miles today, but I took a detour instead.  After 4.3 miles I ran into a place where the trail was washed out by Hurricane Irene last year and so the trail follows three roads for several miles before going back into the woods.  I was on the part of trail that followed the roads, but I turned the wrong way accidentally and found myself wandering into the town of Killington. A helpful couple stopped and asked if I would like a ride.  I explained that actually I was looking for the trail and would like to keep hiking.  (But as the conversation continued I remembered that it was Saturday and there was a town nearby, and besides...wasn't there a chance of rain tonight?  Maybe I could go sleep in town tonight...)  They said they didn't know where the trail went out here, but they could drive me to Rutland if I would like to go.  I hopped in and they dropped me off at the Yellow Deli cafe and hostel, a hostel run by the Twelve Tribes.   After checking in, taking a shower and starting laundry I wandered out to explore Rutland, the second largest city in Vermont. 



Mushroom on the trail



The trail



A weekly farmer's market in Rutland with good Indian food.



Rutland has these painted art hearts all over town.



No comments:

Post a Comment