9/9/12

August 26

Gentian Pond Campsite to U.S. 2
Miles Hiked: 11.8
Hours Hiking: 10

I woke up this morning to a gorgeous sunrise view from the shelter.  The same group of college kids were in the shelter last night, from Tufts University in Boston, and today the leader was turning 20.  They woke him up by singing happy birthday, so it was a fun way to start the day.  I had originally thought I would take today and tomorrow to hike to Gorham, NH, but when the leaders showed me on the map that they planned to camp tonight where I had planned to camp I decided to hike all the way to Gorham today and get a bed and a shower in town instead of spending the third night in a row with 10 snoring college kids.  When I got to Gorham I was feeling overwhelmed by the hiking world culture and opted to buy myself a hotel room, all to myself.  In hiker hostels there is always a quirky character who owns the place and funny, smelly hikers hanging around, with names to learn and stories to tell and I didn't feel like seeing anyone like that tonight.  Also, I am ready to stop climbing and I know that I will be skipping the White Mountains for now.  And other thru hikers really look down on flipping or skipping sections, and I didn't want to have to defend myself or listen to people telling me what is best for me when they have known me all of an hour.


View from the Shelter

Trail crossing a bog



Look! Trees that aren't pine!



Pretty Pond



Pretty Mountains



The Trail crosses this bridge to go into Gorham. There is a Hydro-Electric Plant here.



My hotel


1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9/10/2012

    Meh. Fuck New Hampshire. And its judgmental hikers.

    ReplyDelete