9/20/12

September 6

Thistle Hill Shelter to Route 12
Miles Hiked: 7.8

I woke up this morning at Thistle Hill Shelter and planned to hike about 12 miles to the next shelter.  In the middle of the day I met a day hiker, Squirrelly, and her dog, Maverick, and hiked with them for a little bit.  Then I enjoyed lunch by myself at the top of a mountain with some butterflies and moths.  At 4:30 pm I crossed VT route 12 and it looked like it might start raining and I was still four miles from the shelter where I wanted to sleep.  There is a country store .1 miles off the trail with 'the best pies in all of Vermont', so they say.  So as I found my way towards the store a farmer riding his tractor down the road offered me his barn as a place to sleep.  I decided to stop there, text the hikers Squirrel and The Hardway who I hadn't seen in a while, and see if they wanted to stay at the barn with me.  After about two hours they caught up to me and we enjoyed the tastiest pie, the sunset, and slept well in the barn.  It never rained, but the barn was fun anyway.


The privy near the shelter where I spent the night last night.


Fall leaves, fall colors on the trail.  Then the view from the trail.


The trail and cute New England walls.



Some mountains.



Maverick.



View from the mountain.



My lunch companions. 




More trail.



The barn where I slept tonight.


Squirrel and The Hardway eating dinner at the barn.



Sunset from the barn.  Actually we were facing East, so this is the reflection of the sunset.  It was still beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment