9/29/12

September 15

Vermont Route 10 to Lost Pond Shelter
Miles Hiked: 3
Hours Hiked: 2

This morning I woke up at Silas Griffith Inn and enjoyed the all-you-can-eat farm-fresh breakfast.  Then Glassman drove me the six miles to Manchester Center (the closest big-ish town) so I could buy fuel for my camp stove.  When we got to town we saw a donut shop and stopped in for some donuts, even though six miles earlier we had finished an a-y-c-e breakfast; such is the appetite of the hiker.  After running some errands in town he dropped me off at the trail head and I continued hiking south.  I stopped at Lost Pond Shelter where there were three other hikers for the night.  I spent a lot of time talking with a North bound Long Trail hiker named 'I'm in Love'.  He is 23 years old and told me all about how much he is in love with his girl-friend, Maggie.  He was a lot of fun.

The Long Trail is a hiking footpath that runs from the Massachusetts/Vermont state line north to the Canadian border.  It is about 270 miles total.  From the MA/VT state line to near Killington, VT, near The Inn at the Long Trail hotel, the Long Trail and The Appalachian Trail run together.  So I have been meeting hikers in the shelters and along the trail who are out in the woods for between three weeks and a month with the intent to hike the length of the Long Trail. 


First a building at the Silas Griffith Inn, and then the two owners and me laughing at their dog.




Mushrooms in the woods


No comments:

Post a Comment