9/1/12

On August 18

From Highway 17 to South Arm Road
Miles: 13.3
Hours: 13.5

Don from The Cabin drove Yosemite and I to Highway 17 this morning, so I started hiking at 7:00 AM.  Yosemite is much faster than I am, so he planned to hike 21 miles today, while I planned only 13.3.  I climbed Bemis mountain today, so I was glad to be slack-packing.  Early in the day I ran into Standing Bear, Eagle Eye, Carry-On and another Nobo so we all stopped and snacked together, which was really nice.  It was hot.  It took All day to hike to the next road.  Around 6 I got a call from all the Waggy clan, they were all gathered for a birthday party and put me on speaker phone on the table.  This is a regular occurrence at our family gatherings-cousin is in another country: call her!, cousin is in another state: call him! put the phone on speaker phone and all sit in a circle and chat.  It's funny.  So it was good to stop hiking for 30 minutes and hear from the whole gang.  And then I kept hiking.  It was the first time that I hiked after dark.  It gets dark about 7:50 and I didn't get to the road until about 8:30.  I was nervous about hiking down in the dark, but using the headlamp that Babe and Right On gave me, I made it just fine.  Back at the Cabin they had even saved dinner for me!


Okay, for some reason today I went totally overboard on the photographs, so bear with me.



Someone left boots by the trail


 A view from the Highway 17 overlook


Carry On



Nobo who's name I can't remember


Eagle Eye


Standing Bear
 


What you can't see in this picture is that this is the first time all day I could feel a breeze.  And it felt wonderful!



Maine is never lacking for a good view-these pictures are taken from Bemis Mountain




The view from the privy looking out- I don't know why, so don't ask



Mosses



A note I saw on a tree. I don't know these people.
"Chitty-Chitty, Bang-Bang,
Little Foot's mom is meeting us at noon(ish) at the South Arm Road (7 miles). No signal here but call/text when you gave signal and we can work out a plan to get you.
-Shadow 8:36"



Beautiful pine forest trail


View from Old Blue Mountain




 The power generated by these windmills goes to Massachusetts, the locals don't like it much.



A ladder up a steep part of trail



More view



This is the first time I have been able to see the road from the trail, in all of Maine.


1 comment:

  1. Crystal, just a little note to say that I am loving your blog. The photos are beautiful, and it's so fun to hear about all your adventures! Hope all is well and will be continuing to think of you often.

    ReplyDelete