8/18/12

On August 4

From Boise Cascade Road to Maine Highway 201
Miles Hiked: 5.3
Hours Hiked: 3

Today was my glorious introduction to 'Slack-Packing'.  This is when you carry only what you need during the day and leave your 40 pound pack somewhere safe.  Eric dropped me off at Boise Cascade Road and picked me up at Maine Highway 201 and all I had to carry was some water and a snack.  And I knew that I would again sleep in a bed and be able to shower.  Although slack packing is very expensive because all shuttle services charge large fees for transportation and it locks you into staying another night in a hotel, I think that I may become addicted to this luxury.

An an explanation of 'Hiker Box'.  This is a place, often simply a cardboard box at a hiker hostel, where hikers leave things they don't need or can't carry and they are free for the taking by other hikers.  So far my best find was a can of coke and a full size chocolate bar.

The outside of The Sterling Inn.







Toad? Frog? They're everywhere.



So are the Mushrooms.



The 'Hiker Box' at the Post Office in Caratunk, ME.

No comments:

Post a Comment