12/27/12

On December 13

From Hawk Mountain Shelter to Ramrock Mountain stealth camping site
Miles Hiked: 10.9

I woke up this morning at 6:30 with the sun and Subman was already breaking camp.  He told me that he had blisters from his new shoes and he planned to go back to his car today instead of tomorrow.  So I went ahead alone again.  The fog this morning was awe-inspiring.  It was so thick that when I walked out the other side of the cloud my hair was dripping, even though there had been no rain.  Last night was perfect for sleeping in my 20 degree sleeping bag and the weather today is gorgeous.  I was surprised to see 14 other hikers today, four of them were thru-hikers excited to get to Springer in the next day.  I stopped hiking at 4:50, a little over an hour before dark, and set up camp, built a campfire and made dinner. It was a relaxing day, all in all.

Sunrise in the Fog



Soldiers in the fog


My silhouette 




More fog



Fog and Trail


Georgia is full of funny names for the many 'Gaps'. In Maine these are called 'Cols'. In Indiana we call it a 'Valley'. For example, so far I have crossed through the following Gaps: Hightower, Horse, Gooch, and Cooper.  In Georgia the trail will cross these Gaps: Liss, Jacks, Woody, Lunsford, Dan, Henry, Jarrard, Bird, Neels, Swain, Tesnatee, Hogpen, Wide, Low, Cold Springs, Poplar Stomp, Chattahoochee, Red Clay, Unicoi, Indian Grave, Wolfpen, Steeltrap, Sassafras, Addis, Deep, McClure, Moreland, Dicks Creek, Cowart, Plumorchard, Blue Ridge, Rich Cove, and Bly.


Georgia Mountain views from the Trail


I was interested in the way I could see through the trees on the top of this mountain peak.






3 comments:

  1. These are some of my favorite pictures that you have posted so far (and that's saying something!). I especially LOVE the first one. Frame worthy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I loved being in GA in December. Especially the early mornings were pretty. But spooky too.

    ReplyDelete