8/23/12

On August 9

From Caribou Valley Road to Maine Highway 27
Miles Hiked: 8.3
Hours Hiked: 7.5

I woke up at the motel in Stratton today and decided to again indulge in slack-packing.  Bones was waiting for a new pair of boots to come in the mail, so I convinced him to duct tape his old boots together for a last hurrah of 8.3 miles and join me.   The earliest we could book a shuttle ride to Caribou Valley Road was at 11:00 am, because the shuttle driver was booked all morning, starting at 5:30.  So we were about an hour into the hike when it rained and thundered for about 30 min.  Then it cleared up and was pretty good weather.  Until the last two miles of the hike when there was thunder that seemed to be getting steadily closer.  We hiked as quickly as possible, well, Bones had to wait for me a lot, but we made it to the road before the rain started and we hitched a ride back to the motel.  The first three miles of the hike scaled two peaks and the last five miles of the hike was a steady downhill slope, so I was thankful that I didn't have the weight of my full pack.  It was the first time I have hiked North on the A.T.  I spent the night at the hostel again and was glad to be inside and not in a tent because it rained hard.


Here is what it is like following Bones up the Trail. He borrowed that pack from the hostel. 



We worked hard to hike to this viewpoint, and then waited for the clouds to clear as we tried to dry off a little.  This photo was taken from the South part of Crocker Mountain.



No comments:

Post a Comment