8/3/12

On July 20

The numbers: 0 miles hiked, 0 hours on the trail

I spent the day in a hotel in Millinocket.  I slept in, then took my time on the computer.  I was thinking about what to do next and feeling like I had started this trail way too late in the season.  I thought maybe I would skip the 100 Mile Wilderness and just go to Monson.  But three things happened:

1) Another thru-hiker came into the hotel, so I felt better that I wasn't the only one starting out.  
2) The fortune in my cookie from my order-in Chinese food said "Don't ever stop before you reach the finish line."
3) I couldn't figure out the transportation from Millinocket to Monson, about an hour and a half drive by car on highways.  

So. I decided to hike.  I bought some different food and supplies.  I went through my pack and took out a box of stuff to mail back to Indiana so it would be lighter.  I arranged a cab for 7:30 the next morning to take me to Baxter State Park.

1 comment: