8/13/12

On July 30

Miles hiked: 6.8
Hours hiked: 7

I woke up at the camp site with Dave and Lynn and hiked out of the 100 Mile Wilderness to the road where we called into Monson for a ride.  We stopped at the Lakeshore House in the town of Monson (about half the size of Millersburg, IN) where Lynn and Dave had reservations, but they decided not to stay there because it was full.  Also, in Monson there is a post office, a barbeque joint, two hiker hostels, and one of the hostels has an attached bar.  On Monday the only thing that is open in the post office.  Today is Monday.  Dave and Lynn and left their car in Monson, so they had options.  They drove into Greenville and I hitched a ride with them.  That was the best decision I have made so far.  

It is a 15 mile drive from Monson to Greenville, which is a long day's walk, and we drove it in about 25 min.  It took some time to put the 'hiker brain' around that fact.

We found a suite of rooms at the Black Frog.  Remember the cabbie in Millinocket told me the only place to go in Greenville was the Black Frog?  Turns out there are two suites above the Pub that can be rented by the night.  Dave and Lynn rented the two bedroom, full kitchen, one and half bath, living room, outside deck suite and invited me to stay with them!  I'll post pictures of it tomorrow.  It was a fabulous place to stay after 10 days in the woods.

Lynn had clean clothes for me to borrow, so that I could take a shower and then put on clean clothes.  The wonders abound!  And then they took me out for dinner at the Black Frog.  We realized that their trail names should be 'Right On' and 'Babe'.  All in all a quite delightful day.

This is me in front of the tallest waterfall on the A.T.



Right On, eating a snack.



Babe, resting her knee



A beaver pond



I don't know what this is, a moss or a mushroom, or something else. It is crossing-guard-yellow and looks like a sponge growing on the ground.



Some flowers above tree-line



Babe and Right On, happy to have finished the 100 Mile Wilderness!



Me, after the 100 Mile Wilderness.  This sign says "Appalachian Trail. CAUTION. There are no places to obtain supplies or get help until Abol Bridge 100 miles North. Do no attempt this section unless you have a minimum of 10 days supplies and are fully equipped. This is the longest wilderness section of the entire A.T. and its difficulty should not be underestimated. Good Hiking! M.A.T.C."


Babe and Me (Fugitive) and Right On after finishing the 100 Miles

2 comments:

  1. How did you get your nickname? Great blog! I love the pictures and the explanations of the AT lingo. You're in our thoughts and prayers.
    D & L

    ReplyDelete
  2. The name came from a group of women I sheltered with in the 100 Mile Wilderness. After I told them about the losses in my last year they decided that I was a fugitive, hiding in the woods. I accepted the name because it was given to me by three intelligent women. :) Now, the unexpected consequence is that when I tell my name to a man, especially if I am alone with him in a shelter, I sound just a little bit tough. And that has been a good surprise. But I find that when I make a reservation in town, say for a room that night, I tell the owner my birth name on the phone. I feel that business owners are a little bit reluctant to do business with a hiking Fugitive. :) It's fun. But some of the other names out here are: Sunshine, RatBucket, Foam, Meat, Squirrel, T-Bone, Snorting Ox, Mouse, Amish (he never was Amish), Yosemite, and Trekking Pole (he's Polish). So I guess I did alright in collecting my name.

    ReplyDelete