10/18/12

October 4

From County Road/Pittsfield Road to US 20 (South again)

I woke up this morning to weather forecasts of more rain.  Tom offered for us to stay another day at his home while it dried out, but I decided to hike on.  Tom dropped off Glassman and me at Pittsfield/County Road after showing us where the 'Cookie Lady' lives.  The 'Cookie Lady' lives about 0.1 miles off trail and keeps freshly baked cookies on hand and sells hard-boiled eggs from her free-range chickens to hikers as they pass through.  Since it was only 10:00 AM and we had eaten breakfast provided by Tom we decided we could start hiking without stopping in to meet the Cookie Lady.

It started raining within 45 minutes of the start of the hike.  After two hours we came to a shelter where we though we would get out of the rain while we cooked a hot lunch (yay, Ramen noodles!) to warm up.  We found Oboe Hobo there with his dog Gertie!  He hadn't seen anyone since he saw us yesterday, so he was very talkative.  We spent almost two hours hiding from the rain and enjoying his company and stories.  Glassman gave him a piece of his glass artwork and we headed on down the trail.

We climbed Beckett Mountain and I decided that since tomorrow is my birthday (!!!) I want to spend tonight warm and dry and wake up tomorrow where I can take a shower.  Imagine the luxury.  So, from the summit of Beckett Mountain I called the Berkshire Lakeside Lodge, about two more miles down the trail.  I reserved the last room they had for tonight.  Even though it didn't seem possible, as soon as I hung up the phone, it began to rain harder.  We hurried the last two miles down the mountain, sloshing in our boots.  Even though I wasn't able to do laundry I did get dry and enjoy a hot shower.  I'll wake up on my birthday warm and dry!

Breakfast at Tom's house. L-R Glassman, Crazy Horse, Tom, Mosey



Views from the Trail





No comments:

Post a Comment