10/25/12

October 11

Route 41 in Salisbury, CT to the Limestone Spring Shelter

Miles Hiked: 4.1
Hours Hiked: 3.5

I woke up this morning at the Inn at the Iron Masters and Glassman and I enjoyed the continental breakfast.  Today is the day Glassman has to go back home to his regular life, so it was a little more tricky than usual packing things up because we had to be sure that I got everything into the Mothership that I needed to have.  Up until now Glassman has been graciously carrying many small things for me to lighten my load, but I had to be sure to gather them all back again.

We went back to the library to work on the blog for another hour.  Then we returned to the grocery store deli for lunch.  After lunch we hitch-hiked back to the trail head where we said good-bye.  At 1:30 I started hiking again and Glassman started hitch-hiking home to Vermont.  It feels strange to hike alone after two weeks of hiking with someone else.  And it feels decidedly less secure.  I was keenly aware that I did not want to night hike alone.  I stopped at the first shelter after only 4.1 miles because the next shelter was another 12 miles down the trail.

The Limestone Spring Shelter is a full half mile off the trail, usually this is too far to even consider using the shelter.  Most shelters are directly on the trail, or maybe 0.1 miles off from it.  And this was a half mile of very steep rock climb.  So when I arrived at the shelter I expected that I would have the place to myself.  Mistake.  Before dark there was a section hiker and four SoBo hikers at the shelter.  It was a fun night of chatting.  All of the Sobos had just reached Connecticut today, so they were excited to be in a new state.


No comments:

Post a Comment