10/30/12

October 16- New York!

Hiked from Ten Mile River Shelter to NY 22 (Pawling, NY)
Miles Hiked: 9.7
Hours Hiked: 5

Overview of Connecticut
Total Miles in CT: 51.6
Total Days in CT: one week-one zero day
Average Miles per Day in CT: 8.6

Today I reached New York!!  There was a part of trail that wound through a meadow where I took an abundance of pictures of a beautiful red tree.  And even better Aunt Jane was there to visit.  We spent the evening finding a hotel, doing laundry, eating dinner and watching the presidential elections.  It was great to see someone 'from home'.

I have started to think about stopping hiking early and head on back to Indiana to meet my new niece.  Mostly I am lonely hiking out here, so we'll see what happens.  The goal right now is to keep hiking until I have been on the trail for exactly 100 days-about another week.  Then I will go visit my friend in Boston and we will go to Fallmouth, MA for a marathon.  After that I will go back to Indiana for the winter.  For now I am still enjoying the trail and all the beauty and solitude and adventure that it has to offer.  And today it was both dry and warm!

Trail



There is a place where a New York City commuter train stops at the trail.  There was no sign marking the border of New York and Connecticut, which was disappointing, so here is a picture of me with the train schedule to show I am in New York.


Amazing red tree


Me climbing over a fence with the mothership


I love this image. It reminds me of a Graeme Base illustration in The Eleventh Hour.  And Graeme Base is my favorite illustrator.


A water tower? A grain silo? I'm not sure, but the image is striking.  All of these meadow images are just outside of Pawling, NY.

No comments:

Post a Comment