10/31/12

October 17

From NY 22 to Nuclear Lake Stealth Camp
Miles Hiked: 6.4

I woke up at the hotel with Aunt Jane and we went to a nearby diner for breakfast.  After breakfast Aunt Jane looked at all of my pictures on my digital camera while I told her trail stories.  Then we stopped at the post office to mail some things home that I did not need to carry any more.  Then we went to the library so that we could use the computers and the bathrooms.  By then we agreed we were hungry again-so we returned to the diner for some apple pie.  It was a great morning!

Aunt Jane dropped me off back at the trail head where I met up with Patrick again.  I hadn't seen him since the beginning of New Hampshire, but instead of hiking together again he decided to go to New York City while I hiked to the next shelter.  At this point on the trail there is a commuter train that goes to NYC, so many hikers take a few days off to explore the Big Apple.  I decided it would be best for me to keep going.

I hiked to the first shelter, but I thought it was too early to stop for the day.  So I hiked until it got dark and pitched my tent next to a beautiful lake called Nuclear Lake that was the site of a nuclear reactor test site until 1972 when the National Park Service purchased the land and cleaned it so that it is now safe for hikers.

My pack-the mothership-on the left, and Aunt Jane's pack-her purse on the right.


Our diner breakfast


I spent a lot of time in post offices while on the trail-so here is a picture.

A woman painting at the boardwalk in the swampland near Pawling, NY



Views from the Trail



No comments:

Post a Comment