11/1/12

October 18

From Nuclear Lake to RPH Shelter at Hortontown Road
Miles: 13.5

Today turned out to be my last day on the trail!  I hiked all day, and enjoyed the trail.  But when I got to RPH shelter I heard from the other two hikers that it was supposed to rain tomorrow. Again.  I decided to order pizza and have it delivered to the shelter as a celebration of the last night on trail.  We made a big fire and enjoyed the whiskey that Aaron had packed in and ate two large pizzas.  It is unusual for a shelter to be close enough to a road that pizza can be delivered.

Originally I had planned to keep hiking until next Thursday.  That would have made exactly 100 days of hiking on the trail.  However, because I am feeling lonely, and because today is exactly three months of hiking, and because my sister and brother-in-law have a brand new baby now I decided to rent a car tomorrow and drive the 700+ miles from Stormville, NY to Goshen, IN to visit family.  Thus ends a chapter of this hiking adventure.  I am sad to leave the trail, but excited to have flush toilets, electricity, daily showers, and food other than freeze dried meals. 

Thank you all for following along on this journey with me, and for the many e-mails, comments and encouragement you showed me along these 600 miles.  I'll keep you posted on what comes next. 


Fall colors


A lacy leaf


My last campfire on the trail.  Thanks for Silly Sobo and Aaron for building this wonderful fire.


No comments:

Post a Comment