3/8/13

Nibbled to Death by Ducks

When I took a zero day at the Aquone Hostel I finished reading the book I had packed, so I traded it at the "take a book, leave a book" bookshelf there.  The book I picked up was "Nibbled to Death by Ducks", a selection based solely on the title. I finished reading it on my zero day in Robbinsville and gave it to the front desk attendant who was bored.

Nibbled to Death by Ducks
A Jimmy Flannery Mystery
By: Robert Campbell

This is a murder mystery set in 1980s Chicago involving the Chicago political machine and a running commentary about the closing of the state psychiatric facilities and the burden that placed on nursing homes. 

The main character, Jimmy Flannery, works as a sewer inspector. His good friend, Chips, lands in a nursing home where there are questions about how state and federal money is being funneled. In the meantime a few other residents of the nursing home turn up dead under questionable circumstances.  Ducks may or may not be involved.  Jimmy takes it upon himself to get tot he bottom of it all to protect his friend.

This is a fast read. The author is good at finding the colloquial voice of the main character. Every once in a while there is a good phrase or sentence.  All in all, not as bad as I expected when I saw the $.99 sticker on the cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment