3/6/13

2.20.13

From Tellico Gap to Nantahala Outdoor Club (NOC)
Miles: 7.9
About 45 degrees, sunny

Today I hiked from Aquone Hostel to NOC hostel.  It was a nice short day of hiking with beautiful weather.  I only saw one other hiker out on the trail.  The trail today was absolutely perfect.  There was snow.  The kind of snow that is crunchy on top, that has good texture.  You know what I mean.  It wasn't the kind where the top of the snow is so hard that it is sharp, and it wasn't so soft as to be slushy and slippery.  It was perfect. 

The Nantahala (pronounced with a long A after the h, otherwise all short a's) Outdoor Club is a center with three restaurants, various motel/bunkhouse rooms, tennis courts, a zip line, rafting, horseback riding, and other adventure oportunities.  But I was there before season, so it was quiet.  Except for the waitress and a few staff members I was the only woman that I saw on the whole campus. When I checked in at NOC I was informed that Larry, the hiker I met at the Aquone Hostel, is still here.  I hope to head out again tomorrow morning.


View from the Tower. Again.



I don't know what sort of bird makes these arrows tracks.  Those are my boot prints.


Views from the trail.



Ice along the trail.

Nanye-Hi. Women's bunk house at Nantahala Outdoor Center.  That building has three rooms, and each room houses four people.  But I had the whole place to myself.

Inside the community kitchen, a space available to all who stay at Nantahala.

Look! The flowers are blooming here!

Various bunkhouses at Nantahala.

This is a view from my seat at the restaurant.

Inside my room.


No comments:

Post a Comment