1/1/13

On December 18

From Unicoi Gap/ GA Highway 75 to Sassafras Gap
Miles Hiked: 10.4

I got the phone number of a hiker shuttle driver from the Hotel front desk and within an hour Gene was at the hotel ready to take me to Unicoi Gap, for a small fee.  Gene is retired and lives in Hiawasee; he has shuttled many hikers and is himself a hiker; he knows the trails and road crossings like the back of his hand.  He and his dog, Casper, decided to hike up the first mile to check out a campsite he had heard about, and since I had a pack and he did not they hiked much more quickly than I did.I caught up with them at the campsite at the same time that two other men, about Gene's age, hiked in.  The four of us chatted for maybe ten minutes and then at about 11:30 I hiked on and they all hiked toward the road.

I did not see anyone else today.  I enjoyed the trail and made camp at Sassafras Gap.


Rhododendron bushes are the tall green here, the bright green is moss, and the darker green on the banks is some type of coral-bell, I think.


View from the Trail. I love the rumpled-crumpled look of these mountains.

No comments:

Post a Comment