4/13/13

3.7.13


March 7 Tri-Corner Knob Shelter to Cosby Knob Shelter 7.7 Miles
On Wednesday I was able to leave the shelter where I had taken a zero day and hike to the next shelter.  It felt good to be moving closer to the edge of the park, and the snow was absolutely beautiful, even though it was extremely cold.  Chapin Lara broke trail for the first five miles because he left the shelter before me, and I broke trail for the next two miles.  It is very tiring to break trail-be the first person to walk through two-to-three foot deep snow.  When I arrived at the next shelter there were three men there celebrating a bachelor party by a week of hiking.  There were also six college kids from Valparaiso University out for their spring break.  One of the college kids gave me two clean and dry pairs of wool socks!  It was the first night that I slept with warm dry feet in the Smokies.  It was a wonderful gift.

Tri-Corner Knob Shelter

 Trail with knee deep snow. See the footprints?

Hiking above the clouds. First you can see the mountain tips, then you can't. Another time I hiked above the mountains was at Mt. Cube in New Hampshire.


Trail beauty


Everyone and their stuff in the shelter at night.

1 comment:

  1. Fabulous pictures! The bachelor trip reminded me of San Diego. Thanks for not taking me hiking in December!

    ReplyDelete