4/13/13

3.10.13


March 10 Groundhog Creek Shelter to Phil's Gap 15.1 Miles
I hiked to Walnut Mountain Shelter today hoping to stay there for the night, but when I arrived about two hours before sunset I found a very old shelter and a note saying that there was a bear in the area.  I decided to continue ahead.  Just 30 minutes before dark I reached Phil's Gap and found two dads and two sons, friends out for the weekend.  They had a big campfire going and their tents set up.  It was extrememly windy so they helped me set up my tent and shared their fire.  We talked for about two hours together before going to bed.  It was windy all night, but thankfully there was no rain.

Max Patch Bald is a place on trail that has a parking lot about a mile away, so it is a popular picnic spot.  I was there on Sunday afternoon, so there were lots of families.

The trail north of Max Patch.

No comments:

Post a Comment