8/10/13

4.28.13

From US 58 in Damascus to VA 728
12.5 miles

Last night mom came into town! I took a zero day yesterday and just bummed around Damascus.  We are staying at The Lazy Fox, the oldest bed and breakfast in Damascus, run by Virginia.  After a delicious and huge breakfast mom dropped me off on trail.  As we pulled up to the trail we saw the man who Chip and I had camped with a few days earlier.  He was struggling under a heavy pack because it was full from food he had picked up in Damascus.  He put his pack in mom's car and we made plans to meet at the next road crossing.  We walked together throughout the morning.  It was enjoyable to have company.  We made good time since we weren't carrying our packs.  At the next road crossing mom met us and he took back his pack.  He planned to go to the next shelter area and camp, and I planned to go beyond that to the next road and meet mom again.
It rained most of the day, but mom braved the weather and came out to join me where she picked me up.  I was glad to be on trail with mom.  After hiking we went back to Damascus and by chance met Gyro and his mom at the pizza place in town.  Gyro had hoped to thru hike this summer, but has run out of funds and is going home from Damascus.

Virginia serving breakfast to a hiker named Big Red

A flower in the rain


The trail in the rain


Me in the rain next to the white blazes


An accidental close up shot of mom, but it turned out really pretty.


Mom and I on trail in the rain



Mom hiking on the trail with her trekking poles.

No comments:

Post a Comment