6/20/12

Change of Plans

Hello, all. I feel strange publishing this for public consumption, but I have said repeatedly that this blog would be the place to find information about my Trail hiking adventure, so here goes.

Before today I sold my car last Wednesday, had my last day at work on Friday, moved all of my belongings to Joel's basement and had a friend buzz my hair to a 1/4 inch on Sunday, in preperation to leave for the trail. 

So here is today's update...Grandpa had surgery today at Loyola in Maywood, near Chicago.  It did not go as hoped.  He is still being sedated through tonight and into tomorrow.  He had to have open heart surgery and will have a longer than anticipated recovery time.  Tonight it is still unknown if he had a stroke or kidney damage during the surgery.  Tomorrow we will learn more. 

I am at my parents' home in Indiana for today and tomorrow.  I had planned to leave for the Trail on Thursday morning, to start hiking on Sunday.  Now I plan to wait at my parents' house tomorrow and maybe Thursday.  Then, I think that I will go to Chicago and stay while Grandpa is in the hospital for his recovery time.  Each of his three sons will be working, and none live near to Loyola, so I don't want him to be alone there.  And I feel more comfortable being with him than going ahead to the trail, at least for now.  This could take a few weeks, or something else.  We'll learn more tomorrow.  I still plan to go hiking when Grandpa is feeling better, when it is more clear what his impact from the surgery is going to be.  But for now, I wait and I hope. 

Thank you for checking in.

1 comment:

  1. Crystal, I am so very sorry to hear this news, but grateful for the update. I'll be thinking about you, your grandpa, and your whole family. Sending hugs.

    ReplyDelete