7/29/13

4.15.13

On April 15 I arrived on the Greyhound Bus in Johnson City, TN.  I had spent 20 hours on the bus since getting on at the South Bend airport yesterday.  I read "The Bloodsucking Fiends" by Christopher Moore from beginning to end.  It is a vampire book making fun of vampire books.  Since this was my first foray into vampire books I figured it was a good way to start.  :)  Christopher Moore also wrote "Lamb", which I greatly enjoyed.
Anyway, I got to the Johnson City bus station and decided that I desperately needed some coffee.  After some wandering I found a church with free coffee and day-old donuts in the basement.  I wandered in and gratefully accepted the coffee and treats.  I met a group of other friendly transients.  It was interesting as I usually find myself of the giving end of a church food giving, and not the receiving end. I appreciated the generosity.
Then I went to the library where I was supposed to meet my ride back to trail.  While I waited I checked my e-mail on my phone and received a notice that I had 72 hours to complete a pre-employment drug drop in Elkhart, IN.  Oops.  So I called HR and told her that I am in Tennessee, decidedly far from Indiana.  HR promised that she would find out more information and call me back.  I took the ride back to trail.

From Carver's Gap to Over Mountain Shelter
5.8 Miles

It felt so good to be back on trail again.  I'm trying to wrap my head around knowing that this time I have only three weeks and then I have to go to Indiana and start a job.  I'm going to make the most of this time and cover some miles.
Yellow Mountain Gap is the junction between the Appalachian Trail and the Historic Bright Trace Route used by the OverMountain Men to cross the mountains enroute to the Revolutionary War battle at King’s Mountain.  The barn is now used to shelter Appalachian Trail hikers.  It is said to be one of the coolest shelters on the trial.
While we were hanging out at Over Mountain Shelter someone got a text message from home with information about the Boston Marathon bombing.  It is a strange thing to be in the middle of the woods when you hear news of a bombing in a large metropolitan center.

The Trail leading out of Carver's Gap.  See the blaze.




Inside and Outside Over Mountain Shelter

No comments:

Post a Comment