7/11/12

On July 27

Miles hiked: 9.9
Hours hiked: 10
From Carl A. Newhall Leant-To to Chairback Gap Lean-To

I had a lazy morning at the shelter with Rafiki, Shelter Virgin and SoHo.  They even gave me coffee, with cream and sugar, a big luxury and the first time I had coffee since leaving Millinocket!  Then I headed south while they headed north.

The hike was beautiful, but very warm.  Fortunately Rafiki had warned me that there was no water at Chairback Gap where I planned to stay the night.  So I filled up on water at the bottom of Chairback.  But that meant that I had a lot more weight when I climbed the boulders up Chairback.  For me Chairback was the hardest climb in all of the 100 Mile Wilderness.

The most color in these woods is in the mushrooms.  They are beautiful.  There are also lots of frogs and toads.  Everywhere.

I was at the shelter for an hour or so before Jon and his Beagle Bella rolled in.  Jon had not prepared for the 100 Mile Wilderness, so he had hiked 21 miles today so that he could get out of the woods because he was running out of food.  So I gave him a Rice-A-Roni and a poptart and he gave me a flashlight.  Oh, woods bartering, you can't beat it.

It was the first night I slept with a dog in the shelter.  I really liked it because I felt there would be fewer mice.


The amazing root systems on these trees are beautiful.


Colorful Mushroom

Toad.


I crossed this stream

The Trail


Pine trees.  New life, old life, everywhere.


I have had the luxury of gorgeous weather.


The trail.





More mushrooms.


Top of Chairback Gap.



I climbed this rock scramble to get to Chairback Gap with all the water I could carry. It was heavy.

No comments:

Post a Comment